So after quite a long wait I finally got my invite to Ello!
For those of you who haven’t heard of Ello it is the new social media platform which is committed to being ad free FOREVER. This is truly exciting for a nerd like me who has a big interest in who owns/controls our personal information. It has potential to offer a real alternative to other social platforms without the cost of giving up our valuable information and pushing advertising right into our news feeds.
It does come with a learning curve so for any of you that are interested please be aware of the following
- It is harder to use at first because it has unfamiliar terminology and navigation
- You need an invite to become part of the network
- It is ‘ad-free’ and promises to be forever
- There are no ‘like’ buttons
- You can upload photos but not videos (at present)
- You don’t have to use your real name
- You have two options for what comes into your news feed ‘noise’ or ‘friends’. ‘Friends’ are people you have chosen to follow, just like Twitter and ‘noise’ are people you follow without alerting them to the fact you are following them
- Your profile has limited components right now – a picture, a bio and your name
- It is still in Beta so it is still growing and evolving – have patience
- It is transparent – it tells you what has been developed, what is coming and makes long-term commitments
I am probably a little starry-eyed right now and the proof will be in my network of friends and family being willing to go the extra mile and engage with Ello – currently they are most active on Facebook just like myself and why change? For me it was their manifesto
If any of you are interested in joining me on Ello, Let me know I am happy to send you an invite so that your wait doesn’t have to be as long as mine!