Effective today Canada has a new anti spamming law. CTRC has some great guidelines for you if you want more detail but here are the highlights!
- Rules are defined under the Canadian Anti Spam Law (CASL)
- Businesses must receive an ‘opt-in’ or implied consent to send commercial electronic messages.
- Emails and some social media messages are included under this law
- Pre-checked boxes will not be accepted as an ‘opt-in’
- All marketing messages will need to identify the sender, their contact details and an unsubscribe button
- Any business that does not comply could be at risk of criminal and civil charges as well as personal liability for company officers and directors.
- Penalties can be up to $10 million